Monday, October 12, 2009

I said "Yes to the Dress!"


Well, it was nothing like the Style Network's famous show "Say Yes to the Dress," but it was definitely a memorable day. My mom, Steve, my brother, Matt, and I went to South Carolina this past weekend to attend one of our close friend's (Amber's)wedding. While the focus of the weekend was celebrating her special day, we decided to take some time the morning before her wedding to go look at some wedding dresses (while Matt and Jared slept in). I always thought I should wait until at least 6 months before the wedding, if not less to start looking for dresses because I didn't want to get one too far in advance and then change my mind. Then someone filled me in that you don't just walk into a bridal store and pick one out and take it home. Those are all samples and your dress has to be ordered, then probably altered once it comes in. It could be a 6 month process easily! So here I am, less than 8 months before the wedding and haven't even THOUGHT about a dress!

There was a bridal boutique in Mauldin, SC that mom had seen on a website before we left for the weekend, so we figured it would be a good opportunity to just try on all sorts of styles and see what I liked. I knew I wasn't going to buy anything that day, so it wouldn't hurt to try on anything I saw. I had a little something in mind for what I wanted, so when we got to the shop, I picked a few out. The owner of the boutique also pulled some dresses based on what I described and off to the fitting room we went. (And by the way, thanks all you girls who have gotten married already and DID NOT inform me that they come into the dressing room and put all the dresses on you. not awkward with a stranger in the slightest... nope... not at all). haha.

I tried on the first dress... it was ok, but too much going on. The second dress was exactly what I had imagined when thinking about my wedding day... but it just wasn't right. I felt pretty... but it wasn't the dress. The third dress I tried on was one that the shop owner had pulled. I wasn't a big fan of it, but I wouldn't dare be rude and tell her I didn't want to try it on. When I got it on and she zipped it up, she stood back and said, "Oh my Gosh...." I loved it. Absolutely loved it. I walked out of the dressing room holding my breath, anticipating what kind of reaction I would get from Mom and Steve. As I walked out, neither of them said a word. Not quite the reaction I was expecting. I walked around the room over to where they were standing and Mom said, "That's it." For the first time since May 5, I truly felt like a bride-to-be. I knew that this dress was everything I wanted and I didn't even realize it. It looked like... Jenna. :-)

Anyone who knows me knows that I am not a quick decision-maker. I could not just buy that dress right then and there. I tried on a few more and didn't even want to really come out of the dressing room in them. When we left the shop that day, I kept going through the pictures on my mom's camera. I just couldn't quit thinking about it. We went to Amber's wedding that night and then drove back to Alabama. Mom and Steve went the other direction because it was fall break and Mom had some time off. When I got home, mom emailed me the pictures of the dress. It was all I could think about. As I kept looking at other dresses, I contined reverting back to that same dress at the boutique in South Carolina. I finally called mom and gave her the "go-ahead." So they re-routed their trip back home to include a stop in South Carolina.... What a great Mom and "step-boyfriend." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment